Tuesday 15 September 2009

What a tidy world it would be...

...if conservative bloggers would only post comments about conservatives who have acted outside their conservative principles,
if liberal bloggers would only post comments about liberals who have acted outside their liberal principles,
if Anglican bloggers would only post comments about Anglicans who have acted outside their Anglican principles,
if Catholic bloggers would only post comments about Catholics who have acted outside their Catholic principles
and if pro-lifer bloggers would only post comments about pro-lifers who have acted outside their pro-life principles.

Catholic News Agency has a piece headed 'Murder of Michigan pro-lifer a 'non story' for Obama Catholics'.

Among the comments on this piece, is one from Austin Ivereigh, former press secretary and public affairs advisor to the then Archbishop of Westminster, Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor.
Here's what Austin says, with my emphasis:

"As one of the 'America' bloggers singled out for criticism for 'ignoring' the murder of Jim Pouillon, I should be allowed to respond. First, my post on civility was put up the night before I heard about this murder -- I accept the murder may have happened before I posted, but I did not hear about until the following morning (I'm in London). When I did read about it, I didn't think it affected in any way the points I was making -- which followed on from a previous post on the same subject. Third, when I did read about it, I didn't think it was worth posting on. I had nothing to say about it that wouldn't have been obvious. It was clearly a deplorable act; what else is there to say? The point you miss in this article is that pro-lifers act (most, anyway) in the name of God and faith; that is their primary motive (which is incidentally why I, too, am strongly anti-abortion). And that is why, when they commit violent acts, or conduct their campaigns to further the pro-life cause in ways contrary to the precepts of their faith, that is worthy of comment, especially by others of the same faith on a Catholic blog. The same does not apply to people of no faith or who are opposed to Catholic precepts. That's why the murder of Tiller was worthy of comment (by me on America) and the murder of Pouillon was not."

No comments:

Post a Comment