Thursday 12 March 2009

Thou art Peter


There is so much in the letter of the Holy Father to the Bishops of the world, that it may well take several readings and reflection, to extract the best and fullest understanding of what he says.

Whether the Holy Father chides, encourages or teaches, he does not do so to defend Joseph Ratzinger, but to lovingly speak the words of Christ to us, and we can surely be in no doubt that it is Peter who has spoken, it is our responsibility to listen to his words.

Here is an exerpt from the first message of his Holiness Benedict XV1 at the end of the Eucharistic Concelebration with the members of the College of Cardinals, just after his election.

"I. the Successor of Peter...listen again with intimate emotion to the reassuring promise of the Divine Master.If the weight of the responsibility that now lies in my poor shoulders is enormous, the divine power on which I can count is surely immeasurable: 'You are Peter and on this rock I will build my Church'. Electing me as the Bishop of Rome, the Lord wanted me as His Vicar, He wished me to be the 'Rock' upon which everyone may rest with confidence. I ask him to make up for the poverty of my strength, that I may be a courageous and faithful pastor of His flock, always docile to the inspirations of His Spirit."

What an amazing gift to the Church is our humble Holy Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment