Tuesday 3 February 2009

The People's Republic of Britain?

I sometimes wonder how far off we are from the kind of totalitarian regime that exists in China.
'Big government' in the UK has led to ever deeper inroads into the privacy of individuals and particularly, families and their children, for whom our beloved government seems to believe that 'it knows best'.

The chilling words of Helen Brook, founder of the Brook organisation could almost be described as government policy:

'It is now the privilege of the parental state to take major decisions-objective, unemotional, the state weighs up what is best for the child'.

And now Jonathan Porritt who chairs the government’s Sustainable Development Commission has chipped in:

“I think we will work our way towards a position that says that having more than two children is irresponsible. "

Well why two, Mr. Porritt, why don't you just forbid anyone to have any children unless they have your permission?

I hope that no-one in the Catholic Church is going to equivocate on this...

Sad to say, but I have have had comments of the 'what, another one' sort in my time, from a Catholic priest and fear that I once embarrassed my Bishop by asking for a blessing for an expectant mother.

...however, if there is equivocation, I'll, I'll,

I'll either move to Blackfen, or Brighton!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kate

    Yes... we agree and we know the feeling about moving to Brighton or Blackfen!

    God Bless
    Alan and Angeline

    ReplyDelete