Wednesday 6 May 2009

Confession: When you don't want to know!


When we went to confession just before Easter, it was in a rural chapel served from the parish. There were not many there for confession, just us and an elderly gentleman; but the elderly gentleman had a LOUD voice!
We found ourselves putting fingers in our ears, and when that wasn't sufficient, stepping outside the Chapel, to complete our penances!

Whilst I've always believed and understood that the priest is under the seal of confession which he may never break, I've been less clear about how this seal affects the laity; I think the laity may reveal something or things from their own confession, if they wish to.
However I'm sure that could not apply to something accidentally (and unwillingly) overheard from someone else's confession.
So, if in danger of overhearing another's confession, I think the best thing to do is to move away, sharply.

No comments:

Post a Comment